Friday, June 14, 2024

Blue Line News

Suspect in Maine Mass Shooting Found Dead 

Must read

The body of Robert Card, who was the suspect in an armed rampage that killed 18 in Lewiston, was found near the recycling center where he had worked.

By Evan Rosen Source New York Daily News

Robert Card, the suspect in Wednesday’s mass shooting in Lewiston, Maine, was found dead in nearby Lisbon after an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, according to reports.

He was located on Friday night in the woods about 8 miles from where the massacre claiming 18 lives took place, CNN reported.

The body was found near a recycling center where the suspect used to work — wearing the same clothes he had on Wednesday — according to Michael Shepherd of the local Bangor Daily News, who cited Maine Sen. Angus King.

“So happy this nightmare is over,” local resident John Riordan told the Lewiston Sun Journal, “and hopefully the families can get some closure. It will be nice to get back to some state of normalcy.”

A huge manhunt had failed to uncover Card, 40, in the days after the shooting, in which 13 people were wounded inside a bowling alley and at a bar.

While the suspect was believed to be still at large, residents across Lewiston hunkered down in their homes, locking their doors and closing their curtains while officers spanning multiple law enforcement agencies — among them agents with the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Card faced eight counts of attempted murder in connection with the carnage that unfolded Wednesday night at Schemengees Bar and Grille and Just-in-Time Recreation, a bowling alley a few miles away.

Maine State Police Col. William Ross said 10 more charges were likely be issued as all 18 victims have now been identified by the state medical examiner’s office. Sauschuck announced the names of those victims at a press conference Friday evening. They ranged in age from 14 to 76.

Fear sparked by the mass killing touched residents in cities far beyond the Lewiston area. In Portland, officials opted to close down its public buildings, while Canada’s Border Services Agency issued an “armed and dangerous” alert to agents stationed along the U.S. border.

In New York, every officer received a photo of Card and some were tasked with checking vehicles at bridges and tunnels leading into the city.

Card was a U.S. Army reservist who had a mental health evaluation over the summer after he began acting erratically during training, according to a U.S. official.

He was released from the mental health facility after two weeks, according to the Maine Information and Analysis Center.

According to his sister-in-law, Katie Card, the suspect reportedly told his family he specifically heard voices at the two locations he allegedly attacked.

“He truly believed he was hearing people say things,” including disparaging things being said about him at the bowling alley and the bar, she told the Daily Beast.

Investigators also learned from Card’s sister that he may have been looking for an ex-girlfriend at those locations.

With News Wire Services

©2023 New York Daily News. Visit Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

More articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest article